Top Festival Picks
The Hamilton Gardens Arts Festival hosts an impressive line up of arts, music, theatre, dance, film, family, writers and comedy events - check out just some of the great line-up below.
- Wintec Outdoor Film Series - Throughout the festival: Films include Housebound, The Blues Brothers, Chocolat, and more.
- Trust Waikato Community Arts Hub - Throughout the festival: Art activities for all ages including face painting, wearable arts, a small and sound sculpture plus more.
- Helter Skelter - Fri 17th Feb: Something for all the Beatles Fans, Helter Skelter is the Beatles like you have never heard them before.
- My Son Pinocchio Jr - Fri 17th - Sun 19th Feb: A musical for the child in all of us, this classic Disney story is brought to life by the Hamilton Operatic Society.
- Gardens After Dark - Fri 17th Feb: Some of New Zealan's best writers and storytellers become your guides as you explore Hamilton Gardens after dark.
- New Zealand Paint & Printmaking Awards - Throughout the festival: An exhibition of the NZ Paint & Printmaking Awards.
- Perhaps Hope - Fri 17th Feb: Described as a 'eco-apocalyptic circus', Perhaps Hope explores the stark reality of climate change.
- Marley - Sat 18th Feb: A stellar line-up if New Zealand artists come together to pay tribute to the legend Bob Marley. Featuring Jason Kerrison, Tiki Taane, Boh Runga, and more.
- Trash Test Dummies - Sat 18th - Sun 19th Feb: An award-winning comedy about the household wheelie bin
- Waikato Ukulele Jam - Sun 19th Feb: Calling all Ukelele enthusiast - bring yours along and jam at this free event.
- Sunset Symphony - A Viennese Midsummer Night - Sun 19th Feb: One of the 'must do' events at the festival, this is an evening of orchestral masterpieces.
- The Floating Theatre - Mon 20th - Thurs 23 Feb: Theatre is the star of this contemporary story, told through comic revelation, where the audience become participants.
- A Fistful of Dollars - Mon 20th Feb: A spaghetti western film screened on the Rhododendron Lawn at Hamilton Gardens.
- Sounds of their Music - Mon 20th - Tues 21st Feb: An evening of Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammersteins classics performed by some of Hamilton's top performers.
- Opera at Twlight - Wed 22nd - Thurs 23rd Feb: Always a festival favourite, a stunning operatic performance in the Medici Court of the Hamilton Gardens.
- Backyard Beats - Fri 24th Feb: Enjoy the sounds of an NZ Summer with J Geeks, Summer Thieves, Hipstamatics and more all in the line-up.
- The Rocky Horror Picture Show - Sat 25th Feb: 'Let's Do the Time Warp Again' - Grab your best costume and enjoy this iconic film on the Rhododendron Lawn at Hamilton Gardens.
- WKA Teddy Bears' Picnic - Sat 25th Feb: Perfect for the younger children and a great family day out. Pack a picnic, dress up and don;t forget your favourite teddy.
- The Mansfield Garden Party - Sun 26th Feb: Step back in time to the elegance and glamour of the 1920’s at the Mansfield Garden Party.
- Miss Jean Batten - Sun 26th Feb: A tale of an independent woman pursuing her ambitions against the odds.
- Plus many more
More great things to see and do
If you are visiting from our of town for the Hamilton Gardens Arts Festival, why not explore the city and region while you are here. With everything from underground adventure and Middle-earth movie magic to wildlife encounters and more - there are plenty of great activities to enjoy.
- Free Attractions: From great walking trails and parks to explore, to spectacular waterfalls and more - explore the region on any budget with the great free attractions on offer.
- Waitomo Glowworm Caves: Visit the world famous Waitomo Glowworm Caves and gaze in awe at the galaxy of glowworms.
- Hamilton Gardens: Explore the 2014 International Garden of the year and discover different civilisations and historically important garden styles from the farthest reaches of the world.
- Watiomo Adventures: Get your adrenalin pumping with a zipline into the Lost World Cave with Waitomo Adventures.
- Hamilton Zoo: Get up close and personal with exotic animals such as Lemur and Rhino with Hamilton Zoo's Eye2Eye encounters.
- Sanctuary Mountain Maungatautari: Plentiful walks through native forest for close encounters with native birdlife and reptiles.
- Hobbiton Movie Set: Discover movie magic with a guided tour through the permanent Hobbiton Movie Set.
- SKYCITY Hamilton: Check out SKYCITY's new Bowl & Social for ten pin bowling, great food and timezone games.
- Waikato Museum: With top art and history exhibitions, the Waikato Museum is a perfect indoor activity.
- Retail Therapy: Get some retail therapy at NZ's largest shopping complex, Te Awa at The Base.
- Raglan Rock: Get the adrenalin pumping with canyoning adventure abseiling down, jumping off and climbing up waterfalls.
- Lake District Adventures: Take a magical glowwom kayak tour on Lake Karapiro, or hire some bikes to explore the Waikato River Trails.
- Plus much more
From inner city hotels and motels to rural lodges and beachside holiday parks, the region boasts a range of accommodation to suit all budgets and tastes.
- Novotel Tainui Hamilton: On the banks of the Waikato River, within a short distance of the Hamilton City section of the Te Awa cycleway, Novotel offers all the creature comforts of a large hotel.
- Sudima Hotel Hamilton: In the heart of Hamilton City, Sudima Hamilton is walking distance to all major restaurants and entertainment destinations.
- Ibis Tainui Hamilton: The hotel presents the only restaurant in the city with breath taking views of the Waikato River - a great place to enjoy unique local flavors
- Ventura Inn & Suites Hamilton: A warm welcome that's worth checking into - Ventura is great value accommodation for a night away.
- Hertz Hamilton: Flying into Hamilton? Grab a rental car from Hertz Hamilton.
- Plus many more options