The natural bridge is a 17m high limestone arch; the remains of an ancient cave system. Take an easy 5 minute stroll to the base of the natural bridge, or continue along the track for a 20 minute loop walk that takes in superb views of the natural bridge and gorge, stalactite-like formations, farmland and 25 million year old fossilised oysters that are exposed in the limestone outcrops.
This easy walk is perfect for a weekend outing with family and friends, and while you’re there why not experience one of the other walks on offer in the area including the Marokopa Falls, Piripiri Cave and Opapaka Pa. See the www.doc.govt.nz for more information on each of the trails.
Or for those wanting to explore the ancient Waitomo cave systems there are a variety of walking and underground adventure tours available – check out the Waitomo activity operators here.
Mangapohue Natural Bridge walk details:
- Time: 20 minute Loop track, 5 minutes to base of bridge
- Distance: 700m
- Track condition: Pushchair accessible along the boardwalk to the base of the natural bridge.
From here the track becomes stepped to the top of the bridge, before following farmland in a loop back to the carpark.
- Getting there: 25km from Waitomo Village on Te Anga Road
- More info: www.doc.govt.nz
- Please Note: Many of the walking trails in the Hamilton & Waikato region do not allow dogs. Hamilton & Waikato Tourism recommended checking with the Department of Conservation before taking your dog on any of the trails in the region.