Cary was invited to receive the award at Tourism New Zealand’s 2016 Business Events National Awards, held in Auckland on Thursday night.
The winning conference bid is predicted to represent over $482,000 in economic value for the Hamilton & Waikato region.
Lisa Gardiner, Tourism New Zealand’s Business Events and Premium Manager says the national awards dinner was held to acknowledge the organisations and individuals they have worked with to achieve conference bid successes.
“These are a diverse range of people from university academics to health sector professionals who have worked with us to champion their field of expertise on the global stage and attract major conferences to New Zealand.”
A total of 71 international conferences have been won by New Zealand in the past year which will lead to an injection of over $96.2 million into the national economy.
The Hamilton & Waikato region has successfully won seven conference bids through TNZ’s Conference Assistance Programme, equating to over $4,473,080 of added revenue.
Hamilton & Waikato Convention Bureau Manager, Amanda Graham says there are a number of opportunities to secure international conferences.
“We currently have two conference bids in the pipeline, with a number of other prospects under discussion. We are seeing a rising trend for international conferences to come to the Waikato, organisers are attracted by top tourist destinations Hobbiton, Waitomo Caves and Hamilton Gardens, world class conference facilities at Claudelands Conference & Exhibition Centre and close proximity to Auckland Airport. New Zealand is perceived to be a 'safe' destination with natural resources and beautiful landscape.
“Our pending bids which include the International Conference on Asian Digital Libraries and the Congress of the International Society of Limnology represent a net worth of $3,551,760. The potential positive flow on effects for the local economy are huge and we value the Conference Assistance Programme highly.”
For further information, contact:
Amanda Graham, Convention Bureau Manager, Hamilton & Waikato Tourism
Phone: 027 482 3707
- Tourism New Zealand’s Conference Assistance Programme provides funding and support to
internationally-affiliated organisations and associations wishing to host an international
conference in New Zealand.
- In order to be eligible for the Conference Assistance Programme, an organisation’s bid must
include a minimum of 200 international delegates
- Projected figures have been referenced from MBIE’s Convention Activity Survey.
- Other conferences won by Hamilton & Waikato region with assistance from the Conference
Assistance Programme include:
- Asian Conference on Machine Learning 2016
- Meeting of the ISO/IEC JTC1/SC27 Working Groups on IT Security Techniques 2017
- IEEE International Conference on Trust, Security and Privacy in Computing and Communications 2019
- IEEE International Conference on Industrial Electronics for Sustainable Energy Systems 2018
- Conference of the International Society for River Science 2017
- Asia-Pacific Software Engineering Conference 2016