As well as the UCI Track Champs and other major sporting fixtures on in the region, there is a stellar line-up of music festival, markets and other great events happening throughout the Mighty Waikato.
- Ride - 22-27 January 2019: The most impactful community cycling event in the country which includes the New Zealand Cycle Classic, Maunga Madness and The Hobbiton Movie Set Gran Fondo.
- Festival One - 25-28 January 2018: A multi-day Christian festival, which brings together music, creative arts and culture to create a community atmosphere within the festival.
- Fatboy Slim - 25 January 2019: Fatboy Slim will be coming to Hamilton's Claudelands Arena on Friday 25 January 2019.
- HSBC NZ Sevens - 26-27 January 2019: With a rich rugby heritage, Hamilton and the wider Waikato region will once again come alive with sevens rugby action.
- Cricket - 23 November 2018-4 March 2019: With a combination of test matches and ODI all on the agenda, there are plenty of opportunities to grab some mates and head to the cricket in Hamilton this summer.
- Gourmet in the Gardens - 28 October 2018-24 March 2019: From mid-October until March 2019, the region’s best food trucks descend on the Hamilton Gardens to delight the punters eagerly awaiting tasty tucker on sunny Sunday afternoons.
- Kiwigrass Festival - 1-3 February 2019: February 2019 will see the first ever Kiwigrass festival at Narrows Park along the Waikato River in Hamilton.
- Bluewaters Festival - 2 February 2019: The Waikato region's newest music festival, Bluewaters Music Festival, comes to the Mighty River Domain at Lake Karapiro this February 2019.
- Hamilton Gardens Arts Festival - 20 February-3 March 2019: This iconic open-air summer festival celebrates all things creative within the internationally acclaimed and award winning Hamilton Gardens.
- Plus many more...
Family flying to Hamilton?
With direct flights daily from Wellington, Christchurch and more, it's easy to get your sporting fix this summer.
Make the most of your visit to the Mighty Waikato these great activity suggestions. From underground wonders and Middle-earth Movie Magic to wildlife encounters, kayak trips and much more.
- Waitomo Glowworm Caves: Visit the world famous Waitomo Glowworm Caves and gaze in awe at the galaxy of glowworms. Grab a Cave combo deal and visit the Ruakuri Cave (pictured above) as well.
- Hobbiton Movie Set: Discover movie magic with a guided tour through the permanent set as seen in The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit film trilogies.
- Hamilton Gardens: Explore the award-winning Hamilton Gardens and discover different civilisations and historically important garden styles from the farthest reaches of the world.
- Cycle Trails: From the banks of the Waikato River to the ancient Pureora Forest, there are many cycle trails to enjoy
- SKYCITY Hamilton: Check out SKYCITY Hamilton's new Bowl & Social for ten pin bowling, great food and timezone games.
- Waitomo Adventures: Get your adrenaline pumping with a zipline, abseil or black water rafting trip with Waitomo Adventures, or try their newest family friendly tour, the Troll Cave.
- Sanctuary Mountain Maungatautari: Discover Plentiful walks through native forest for close encounters with birdlife and reptiles.
- Hamilton Zoo: Get up close and personal with exotic animals such as Lemur and Rhino with a Eye2Eye encounter at Hamilton Zoo.
- Waikato Museum: With top art, history and interactive kids exhibitions the Waikato Museum is a perfect indoor activity for the entire family.
- Hampton Downs: Challenge friends and family to a few laps of go karting at Hampton Downs and get the blood pumping with a V8 Muscle Car or Supercar experience.
- Zealong Tea Estate: Treat yourself to a high tea overlooking the stunning tea plantation.
- Lake District Adventures: Take a magical glowwom kayak tour on Lake Karapiro, or hire some bikes to explore the Waikato River Trails.
- Raglan Kayak & Paddleboard: Explore Raglan's limestone coast with kayak & paddleboard tours and rentals.
- Raglan Surf School: Learn to surf on Raglan's world famous left-hand surf breaks.
- Good George Brewery: Learn all about the brewing process and their award-winning beers with a Brewery Tour, or enjoy a bite to eat in the dining hall.
- Go Skydive: Get your adrenaline pumping with a skydive from up to 13,000ft, providing stunning views of the Waikato region below.
- Plus much more.