Around 12 kilometres of off-road trails wind through the Sainsbury road forest west of the township of Pirongia. A kids track and pump track provide great off road children’s cycling, while tracks such as ‘Easy As’, ‘The Apprentice’ and ‘Home and Away’ are great grade 2 (easy) Waikato mountain biking trails.
The intermediate grade trails include ‘Hard Labour’, ‘The Sorcerer’, ‘Tusker’ and ‘Not so easy’ which vary in length and wrap around the forestry access road. Whilst signature tracks include 'Trick or Treat (grade 4) and Alchemy (grade 5), for the more advanced rider.
With new tracks regularly in development, the available trails are always growing, providing something to suit all levels and abilities.
The Mt Pirongia trails have been developed by the Waipa Mountain Bike Club, which holds regular group rides and events on the trails. For more information visit www.waipamtb.org.nz
Mt Pirongia Mountain Bike Trails Highlights
- Off-road cycling through native and exotic forest trails
- Kids track
- Pump track
- Multiple rides catering to all abilities
Mt Pirongia Mountain Bike Trails at a glance
- Grade 2 – 5 (Easy to Advanced)
- Access: Sainsbury Road, Mt Pirongia
- Free to access: The trails are paid for from fundraising and maintained by volunteers, so any donations are appreciated.