Riders can take in the full beauty of the Waikato River with a two hour cycle journey from Hamilton Gardens all the way to Ngaruawahia and between Cambridge and Lake Karapiro. The track is primarily wide, smooth and largely flat making Te Awa suitable for cyclists of all fitness and experience levels. The full trail stretches along the Waikato River, from Ngaruawahia in the north to Karapiro in the South.
Te Awa will link with the Waikato River Trails near Horahora as well as other regional cycling highlights such as Hamilton Mountain Bike Track in Pukete Farm Park and the Avantidrome, near Cambridge.
For more information on the trail visit www.te-awa.org.nz
Te Awa - The Great New Zealand River Ride Highlights
- River views and a mix of rural and urban landscapes
- Wide track suitable for social riding
- Stunning views of Lake Karapiro and a 400m boardwalk around the edge of the lake
- Perry Bridge - an iconic 120m cycle/walk suspension bridge at Horotiu
Te Awa River Ride - At a glance
- Grade 2 (easy)
- Distance: 70km
- Access: This ride can be accessed at various points along the trail.
Te Awa Walkway
The Te Awa River Ride also includes shared cycle/walkway sections. To view a map of the Te Awa walkway click here