From meandering through stunning gardens to discovering picturesque waterfalls and more - there are plenty of free attractions to enjoy this summer in your own backyard.
- Waiorongomai Valley: Step back into gold mining history as you explore the Waiorongomai Valley in Te Aroha
- Blue Spring at Te Waihou Walkway: Visit the internationally acclaimed springs, with water so pure its supplies around 70% of NZ's bottled water
- Wairere Falls: Walk the Wairere Falls track near Matamata for stunning views of the falls and out over the region
- Otorohanga Kiwiana Walk: Pick up a quiz sheet from the Otorohanga i-SITE and look for clues on the Ed Hillary walkways
- Hamilton Gardens: Download and follow the Hamilton Gardens Children's Discovery Trail activity sheet
- Mangaokewa Scenic Reserve: Explore the attractive bush walk to the Cascade Waterfalls
- Hamilton Lake Domain: Stroll around the lake and let the kids loose on the playground
- Hakarimata Walkway: Visit ancient Kauri trees, tackle the summit stairs or try the family friendly rail trail tracks
- Gallagher Bike Skills Park: Helps your children to learn essential bike skills in a safe environment
- Mokena Geyser: Watch the world's only naturally hot soda water geyser erupt every 40 minutes in Te Aroha
- Cycle Trails: From the banks of the Waikato River to the ancient Pureora Forest, there are many cycle trails to enjoy
- Plus much more
From concerts and music festival such as Soundsplash and Fesival One to international cricket, gourmet markets, thoroughbred racing, art events and more; check out the great summer events on the calendar in the Hamilton & Waikato region.
- Zirka Circus: 13 April - 1 May - Zirka Circus brings its 4th tour of New Zealand to Hamilton with their new show "Cross the ocean"
- FunFair at Te Awa The Base: 16 April - 1 May: While out shopping don't forget to take a spin on the Rockin Tug by the playground, or try your luck on the Laughing Clowns.
- Waikato Museum School Holidays programme: 18 - 27 April - Explore art and history at the Waikato Museum this school holidays with their school holiday programme.
- EdVenture School Holiday programme: 18 - 22 April: Enjoy an active outdoor educational school holiday programme with EdVenture.
- YMCA Holiday Programme: 18 - 29 April: Take advantage of a fully organised holiday programme at multiple venues around Hamilton.
- Westfield Chartwell School Holidays Activities: 18 - 29 April: Westfield Chartwell shopping centre has a variety of free entertainment options throughout the April school holidays.
- Ice Skating Tour: 13 - 23 April - Enjoy ice skating for all ages in Matamata and Cambridge this April.
- The Great NZ Food Show: 30 April - 1 May - The Great NZ Food Show returns to Mystery Creek Events Centre for a weekend of culinary delights.
- Da Vinci Mechanics: 27 Feb - 29 May - Replicas of some of Leonardo da Vinci’s brilliant creations and concepts, devised more than 500 years ago, are on show at the Waikato Museum throughout the holidays.
- Waitomo Trail Run: 30 April - With categories for all ages, the inaugural Waitomo Trail Run is a great family event for the holidays.
- School Holiday Action at Hamilton Zoo: 18 - 22 April - From Ice Age and discovery trails to free activity sheets are more, check out whats on at Hamilton Zoo this school holidays.
Things to see and do
From underground adventure and Middle-earth movie magic to wildlife encounters and inn-city fun - there are plenty of great activities to enjoy this summer.
- Waitomo Glowworms: Visit the world famous Waitomo Glowworm Caves - sure to be a hit with all ages.
- Black Water Rafting: Get your adrenalin pumping with a Black Water Rafting trip with Waitomo Adventures - perfect for the older kids
- Animal Encounters: Get up close and personal with exotic animals such as Lemur and Rhino at Hamilton Zoo
- Middle-earth: Discover movie magic with a guided tour through the now permanent Hobbiton Movie Set
- Waikato River Explorer: Experience the unique beauty of the Waikato River with a cruise on the Waikato River Explorer
- Sanctuary Mountain Maungatautari: Plentiful walks through native forest for close encounters with native birdlife and reptiles
- Inner City Fun: Challenge family and friends to a friendly game of ten-pin bowling or enjoy the dining options on offer at SKYCITY Hamilton
- Zealong Tea Estate: Take some time for yourself and discover NZ's only Oolong Tea Plantation and enjoy high-tea at the cafe
- Waikato Museum: With great interactive children's exhibitions, the Waikato Museum is a perfect indoor activity
- Te Aroha Mineral Spas: Soothe those aching muscles after a long rider with a soak in the Te Aroha Mineral Spas.
- Retail Therapy: Get some retail therapy at NZ's largest shopping complex, Te Awa at The Base
- Plus much more
Family visiting from out of town
With a range of accommodation options, car hire and Hamilton Airport on your back doorstep, it is easy to accommodate for the extended family - or perhaps treat yourself and enjoy a 'staycation' while exploring the Waikato region.
- Novotel Tainui Hamilton: On the banks of the Waikato River, within a short distance of the Hamilton City section of the Te Awa cycleway, Novtel offers all the creature comforts of a large hotel.
- Sudima Hotel Hamilton: In the heart of Hamilton City, Sudima Hamilton is walking distance to all major resturants and entertainment destinations.
- Bella Vista Hamilton: Bella Vista Hamilton offers motel accommodation which caters for cyclists, perfect for families and conveniently located in Hamilton City.
- Te Aroha Landing: Neslted on the banks of the Waihou River in Te Aroha, Te Aroha Landing is the prefect accommodation option for those riding the Hauraki Rail Trail or exploring Te Aroha.
- Ibis Tainui Hamilton: The hotel presents the only restaurant in the city with breath taking views of the Waikato River - a great place to enjoy unique local flavors
- Hamilton Airport: With direct daily flights to most major NZ destinations including Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch and Nelson, its easy and convenient to fly in and out of Hamilton Airport.
- Car Hire: Need an extra set of wheels to ferry the family around? Check out the range of car hire options at Hamilton Airport including Hertz Hamilton
- Plus many more options