From underground adventure to middle-earth movie magic – explore the great activities and attractions on offer in your own backyard this winter.
- Waitomo Glowworm Caves: Experience the wonder of our unique boat trip through the starry wonderland of the Glowworm Grotto
- Hobbiton Movie Set: Experience middle-earth movie magic at the now permanent movie set
- Black Water Rafting: Get your adrenalin pumping with a Black Water Rafting trip with Waitomo Adventures – perfect for the older kids
- Hamilton Gardens: Visit the visually stunning and award winning collection of gardens and take advantage of the free children’s activity sheet.
- Sanctuary Mountain Maungatautari: Plentiful walks through native forest for close encounters with native birdlife and reptiles
- Cycle Trails: Home to three of the NZ Great Rides, there are plenty of cycle trails, of all levels, to enjoy
- Animal Encounters: Get up close and personal with NZ’s native Kiwi and other native birdlife at the Otorohanga Kiwi House
- Waikato River Explorer: Experience the unique beauty of the Waikato River with a cruise on the Waikato River Explorer
- Ten-pin bowling: Challenge family and friends to a friendly game of ten-pin bowling at The Bowlevard at SKYCITY Hamilton and enjoy a variety of restaurants also on offer
- Waikato Museum: With great interactive children’s exhibitions, the Waikato Museum is a perfect indoor activity
- Zealong Tea Estate: Take some time for yourself and discover NZ’s only Oolong Tea Plantation and enjoy high-tea at the café
- Relax and unwind: In the rejuvenating naturally hot soda water of the Te Aroha Mineral Spas
- Wine and dine: From inner-city restaurants such Restaurant on Alma at Novotel Tainui Hamilton, to great local cafes and eateries
- Travelling from out of town: Whether visiting for an event or a night in the city, take advantage of the great accommodation options on offer from Sudima Hotel and Ibis Tainui Hamilton to Bella Vista Motel & Best Western Hygate
Plus much more
Keep the kids entertained these with the variety of school holiday and family friendly events on offer or enjoy a night out with friends at one of the great winter events
- Waikato Museum School Holiday Programme: From ocean day and penguin day to Maori arts & crafts, and full day activities, the Waikato Museum School Holiday programme is suitable for kids age 7-14.
- Te Awa at The Base: Meet Peppa Pig from 6th – 10th July or take part in the superheroes & butterflies craft workshops from 13th – 17th July at Te Awa.
- The Wiggles: The Wiggles Rock & Roll Preschool Tour comes to Founders Theatre in Hamilton on 12th July
- Matariki Events: Celebrate Matariki with the range of great family friendly events on throughout July
- Squiggle Holiday Programme: Games, sports, arts and crafts, trips and lego are just some of the school holiday activities on offer through the Squiggle Holiday Programme
For even more great events, download a copy of our Winter Events Calendar here