From the 2017 Rugby League World Cup and The Taniwha to Gourmet in the Gardens, Round the Bridges and much more - we are set for a stella line-up of events leading into Xmas - the perfect excuse for a weekend away.
- Gourmet in the Gardens: Every Sunday - The region’s best food trucks descend on the Hamilton Gardens to delight the punters eagerly awaiting tasty tucker on sunny Sunday afternoons.
- Hamilton Fringe Festival: 18 - 28 Oct - Described as a festival of creative expression, the 2017 Hamilton Fringe Festival provides a smorgasbord of quality and affordable arts entertainment.
- Hampton Downs 500: 28 - 29 Oct - Last year’s 101-lap race was a major hit with competitors and fans alike but this year Australian GT Management have added a 100km to the race length, making it a 500km battle!
- The Taniwha: 04 Nov - Held along the banks of the mighty Waikato River, The Taniwha multisport event consists of mountain bike, off-road trail run, off-road trail walk and team relay categories.
- Rugby League World Cup: 04 Nov & 11 Nov - Hamilton will play host to two of the 2017 Rugby League World Cup matches, with Samoa v Tonga and New Zealand v Tonga at FMG Stadium Waikato this November.
- Guy Fawkes Events: 04 Nov - When it comes to Guy Fawkes and Fireworks displays the Hamilton & Waikato region has a few hidden sparklers that would rival some of the best, and are perfect for the entire family.
- The Mane Event: 11 Nov - The Mane Event is a one-off, family friendly, free show at Claudeland’s Events Centre.
- Armistice in Cambridge: 11 - 12 Nov - Commemorating the end of the First World War and New Zealand’s involvement in the battle at Le Quesnoy, Armistice in Cambridge is an affordable weekend for the entire family to enjoy.
- Round the Bridges: 19 Nov - Hamilton & Waikato’s annual Round the Bridges run is set to hit the pavement again this November.
- Mary Poppins: 25 Nov - 09 Dec - The world’s most famous nanny flies into Claudelands Arena for a strictly limited season.
- Waikato 100: 25 Nov - The longest river head race in NZ, the event is open to all ‘human powered’ vessels, including rowing, kayak, paddleboard and waka ama.
- TriMaori Festival: 25 Nov - Held at the Lake Karapiro Domain, the TriMāori Festival has a number of events to suit every fitness level.
- Plus many more.
From inner city hotels and motels to rural lodges and beachside holiday parks, the region boasts a range of accommodation to suit all budgets and tastes.
- Novotel Tainui Hamilton: On the banks of the Waikato River, within a short distance of the Hamilton City section of the Te Awa cycleway, Novotel offers all the creature comforts of a large hotel.
- Sudima Hotel Hamilton: In the heart of Hamilton City, Sudima Hamilton is walking distance to all major restaurants and entertainment destinations.
- Distinction Hamilton Hamilton: Boasting 147 rooms and suites, many refurbished in 2017, free unlimited Wi-Fi, restaurant & bar, fitness centre, indoor swimming pool & spa pools.
- Ibis Tainui Hamilton: The hotel presents the only restaurant in the city with breath taking views of the Waikato River - a great place to enjoy unique local flavors
- Ventura Inn & Suites Hamilton: A warm welcome that's worth checking into - Ventura is great value accommodation for a night away.
Flying to Hamilton?
With daily direct flights from Wellington, Christchurch and more, flying to Hamilton will get you to your Short Escape faster.
- Find Flights: Fly direct to Hamilton airport.
- Hertz Hamilton: Grab a rental car from Hertz Hamilton, located at Hamilton Airport.
- Plus many more options
Make the most of your short escape with these great activity suggestions. From underground wonders and Middle-earth Movie Magic to wildlife encounters, kayak trips and much more.
- Waitomo Glowworm Caves: Visit the world famous Waitomo Glowworm Caves and gaze in awe at the galaxy of glowworms.
- Hobbiton Movie Set: Discover movie magic with a guided tour through the permanent.
- Hamilton Gardens: Explore the award-winning Hamilton Gardens and discover different civilisations and historically important garden styles from the farthest reaches of the world.
- SKYCITY Hamilton: Check out SKYCITY Hamilton's new Bowl & Social for ten pin bowling, great food and timezone games.
- Watiomo Adventures: Get your adrenaline pumping with a zipline, abseil or black water rafting trip with Waitomo Adventures.
- Sanctuary Mountain Maungatautari: Discover Plentiful walks through native forest for close encounters with birdlife and reptiles.
- Hamilton Zoo: Get up close and personal with exotic animals such as Lemur and Rhino with Hamilton Zoo's Face2Face encounters at Hamilton Zoo.
- Waikato Museum: With top art, history and interactive kids exhibitions the Waikato Museum is a perfect indoor activity for the entire family.
- Hampton Downs: Challenge friends and family to a few laps of go karting at Hampton Downs.
- Good George Brewery: Learn all about the brewing process and their award-winning beers with a Brewery Tour, or enjoy a bite to eat in the dining hall.
- Zealong Tea Estate: Treat yourself to a high tea overlooking the stunning tea plantation.
- Raglan Rock: Get the adrenaline pumping with canyoning adventure abseiling down, jumping off and climbing up waterfalls.
- Raglan Kayak & Paddleboard: Explore Raglan's limestone coast with kayak & paddleboard tours and rentals.
- Raglan Surf School: Learn to surf on Raglan's world famous left-hand surf breaks.
- Lake District Adventures: Take a magical glowwom kayak tour on Lake Karapiro, or hire some bikes to explore the Waikato River Trails.
- Plus much more.
From meandering through stunning gardens to discovering picturesque waterfalls and climbing to mountaintop views - there are plenty of free attractions to enjoy this summer in your own backyard.
- Waiorongomai Valley: Step back into gold mining history as you explore the Waiorongomai Valley in Te Aroha
- Blue Spring at Te Waihou Walkway: Visit the internationally acclaimed springs, with water so pure its supplies around 70% of NZ's bottled water
- Wairere Falls: Walk the Wairere Falls track near Matamata for stunning views of the falls and out over the region
- Otorohanga Kiwiana Walk: Pick up a quiz sheet from the Otorohanga i-SITE and look for clues on the Ed Hillary walkways
- Hamilton Gardens: Download and follow the Hamilton Gardens Children's Discovery Trail activity sheet
- Mangaokewa Scenic Reserve: Explore the attractive bush walk to the Cascade Waterfalls
- Hamilton Lake Domain: Stroll around the lake and let the kids loose on the playground
- Hakarimata Walkway: Visit ancient Kauri trees, tackle the summit stairs or try the family friendly rail trail tracks
- Gallagher Bike Skills Park: Helps your children to learn essential bike skills in a safe environment
- Mokena Geyser: Watch the world's only naturally hot soda water geyser erupt every 40 minutes in Te Aroha - while you are there check out the free foot pools in the domain
- Cycle Trails: From the banks of the Waikato River to the ancient Pureora Forest, there are many cycle trails to enjoy
- Plus much more